The Italian Heritage Society of St. Mary of Sorrows Church
Co-founded by Lucio D’Andrea(email@example.com)and Russell De Rose(firstname.lastname@example.org) in February 2010 with the blessing of Father James Barkett. Lucio D’Andrea is our contact for Italian Language Classes.
Membership Information: Membership is open anyone who is interested in Italian culture, history, language, and food. Our membership is made up of Italians, Italian Americans, those of Italian heritage, and other ethnic heritages.
Annual Dues: Single is $10.00 and Family is $15.00. (January 1 to December 31)
For more information contact officers:
IHS Secretary & Hospitality
IHS Church Liaison
John Di Bella
Meeting Location and Dates: Meetings at 5222 Sideburn Rd. Fairfax, VA. Please sign in at the office area before attending meetings and get an IHS badge. If possible please bring a beverage or food item to share for the general monthly meetings.
- Wednesday September 28, 2022 in Farrell Hall 7-9pm, Video excerpts and discussion about Riccardo Illy, The Art of Excellent Products, based on an Italian model, a book he wrote about the excellent reputation of Italian products focusing on furniture, food and fashion.
- Friday October 28, 2022 in Farrell Hall 7-9pm. probably Costume/picture of Italians(Famous or Family) for Halloween themed event
- Friday November 18, 2022 in Farrell Hall 7-9 pm
- No formal December meeting, planning eat at Italian restaurant for a Monday luncheon but later have Epiphany party in January
2023 General Meeting Dates
- Friday Jan 6 6:30 p.m. Epiphany celebration St. Joseph Hall-cancelled
Friday February 24 Lenten meeting with Knights of Columbus at their Fish Dinner 5-630pm in Farrell Hall
with option to join in Stations of Cross in new church at 7pm
- Sunday March 19 St. Joseph Day lunch, Dolce Vita Restaurant Fairfax
In Cantina room 1-3pm (RSVP required)
- Friday April 28 Farrell Hall 7-9 pm Sicily – A Rich Heritage and Culture:
A virtual tour of Sicily, its landscapes and traditions. presenter Rosanna Park
- Friday May 26 Farrell Hall 7-9 pm Italian Movie Night
- Friday June 23 Farrell Hall 7-9 pm special presenter
IHS Executive Board meetings held in the Conference Room near the St. Mary of Sorrows parish center office on the main floor.
2022 Board Meeting Dates
- Wednesday September 7, at 10am-noon
- Wednesday October 5 at 10 am-noon
- Wednesday November 9 at 10am-noon
2023 Board Meeting Dates
- Wednesday February 1st 10 am – noon
- Wednesday March 1st 10 am – noon
- Wednesday April 12 10 am – noon
- Wednesday May 3 10 am – noon
- Wednesday June 7 10 am – noon
Mission: The mission of the Italian Heritage Society is to promote the cultural, social and educational heritage of Italy and its regions, and to increase the awareness and appreciation of the contributions made by Italians, Italian Americans, and those of Italian heritage to the economic, social and cultural development of the United States. It also seeks to support the spiritual, social and cultural values of the community of St. Mary of Sorrows Church.
Activities: Includes but is not limited to the following activities.
- Dinners at an Italian restaurant or pot-luck or catered lunch or dinner at St. Mary’s Church, especially around Christian Holy Days.
- Italian games (i.e. briscola, scopa, etc.) or bocce.
- Attend Italian cultural events in the Washington, D.C. area.
- Italian regional cooking demonstrations.
- Wine tastings and presentations.
- Visit to Virginia Italian vineyards.
- Olive oil tasting.
- Italian movie night.
- Coordination with other Italian Heritage groups in Virginia.
- Genealogical research programs at the National Archives (NARA), Library of Congress, Family History Library, US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and other sources.
- Organized trips to the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, Embassy of Italy, Congress, Holy Rosary Church, Italian feasts in the area, and Ellis Island, etc.
- Celebrate the Feast of St. Joseph in March and its traditions.
- Recommend Italian language classes for beginners, intermediate, and advance students.
- Arrange programs that highlight the social, economic and intellectual development by Italians in the USA.
- Cooperate with other St. Mary Church organizations in promoting spiritual and cultural events of the Church, i.e. International Night.