PARISH SOCIAL MINISTRY EVENTS
Fall Harvest Food Drive
This year, we will be collecting food donations on November 15th and 16th. Much of the food we collect will be delivered to the Catholic Charities Fall Harvest Food Drive, to help needy people throughout the Diocese of Arlington. Like most parishes in the diocese, Saint Mary’s has been encouraged to support the fall food drive for Catholic Charities. The Catholic Charities food ministry has greatly expanded. Since participation in our parish’s traditional Thanksgiving food deliveries has been declining, the decision was made to support the Catholic Charities effort this year. Please take a brown bag as you leave Mass next weekend and return it the following week with as many of the listed items as you can contribute. Thank you in advance for your great support!!!
Fair Trade Coffee Sale Coming on November 22 & 23
Support economic justice for others by purchasing Fair Trade. Coffee and chocolate will be sold after Saturday evening and Sunday morning Masses, and before the 12:30 p.m. Mass on September 27th and 28th.
Advocacy Sign-Up Sunday
On November 15 & 16, our parish will be holding a Virginia Catholic Conference Advocacy Sign-up Sunday. Our Catholic faith compels us to seek the common good in public life. The Virginia Catholic Conference, established by our Virginia bishops, is one quick and easy way to advocate for legislation that does just that, supporting life, protecting the family, and the poor and vulnerable. Learn more about the Conference’s work and how you can become involved at www.vacatholic.org.
2014 Christmas Outreach
Our Christmas Outreach program benefits hundreds of needy in our community and puts smiles on faces of people of all ages. Saint Mary’s is blessed with wonderful volunteers and generous givers. Please consider participating in any or all of the following ways:
- Sign up after Mass during the weekends in November to bring a gift for a child, or a special adult referred to us by County or other organizations;
- Bring a gift for a non-designated child, teen, or adult, including senior citizens;
- Organize a group adoption of a needy County family for Christmas gifts and food;
- Bring food for the Fall Harvest and Christmas Food collections;
- Make a monetary donation;
- Assist with sign-ups during weekends during November, or during the weekends of November 29th and 30th, and December 6th and 7th, when gifts will be brought to Saint Mary’s, and as needed during the week after the gifts are collected;
- Deliver Christmas gifts to Fairfax County families on December 13th.
Thanks to all who contributed to our very successful 2014 clothing drive, including those who donated clothes, who brought treats for our volunteers, and all who so generously gave their time to help. It could not have been done with you!